Terraria

Terraria and Gameiki on Mac OS X

1. Gameiki User Gravatar
    ghreat

2 posts

This is what I did to get Terraria 1.2.3.1 (and Gameiki 1.1) up and running on Mac OS X 10.9. As the process is fairly generic it should work for later (and possibly earlier) versions too. Good luck!

Introduction
    I love Terraria and have played a couple of hundred hours of it on and off since its first release, I also have a Mac and prefer not to use bootcamp if I can help it. This guide works well for my MacBook Pro from October 2008, and makes the game run smooth. If your mac is of similar age or newer it should work for you too, but I haven't tried on any other systems. There are other guides out there which helped me greatly to make this one, but I haven't found one for the latest Terraria (and Gameiki) that fixes or evades some (if not all) of the more common bugs that can crop up with the combo wine/steam/terraria these days.

The Gameiki steps are optional and only needed for those who wants to run the mod.

Let's begin ...

Create and run the wrapper
    • Unpack "Wineskin Winery.app Version 1.7.zip" and double click on "Wineskin Winery"
    • Click "Update" and then "OK" and it will download the latest wrapper version (right now Wineskin-2.5.12)
    • Click on the small circular arrow button
    • Click on the small "+" button next to "New Engine(s) available"!
    • Click "Download and Install" and "OK" and it will download the latest engine (right now WS9Wine1.7.13)
    • Click "Create New Blank Wrapper" and type in a fitting name (I named mine "TerrariaGameiki"), press "OK"
    • Click "Cancel" when asked about Mono, we'll use the real .NET package instead
    • Click "Cancel" when asked about Gecko, we don't need it
    • Wait a short while, roll your thumbs
    • Click "View Wrapper in Finder"
    • You can now Quit Wineskin Winery
    • Run your newly created wrapper
    • Click "Set Screen Options" and check "Use Mac Driver instead of X11", click "Done"
    Install .NET
    • Click on "Advanced", "Tools", "Winetricks"
    • Search for "msxml3", click the triangle next to "dlls" and check the box next to "msxml3"
    • Click "Run", then "Run" in the window that pops up
    • Winetricks will open the Cnet download page for MSXML 3.0 SP7 in your browser. Click "Download now"
    • In Finder, locate the downloaded file "msxml3.msi" and move it to the newly opened folder named "msxml3" (otherwise located at "~/Library/Caches/winetricks/msxml3")
    • Go back to Winetricks, then search for, check and run "msxml3" again.
    • In the MSXML installer, click "Next", "I accept...", "Next", "Next" (you don't have to enter your name), "Install" and "Finish"
    • Wait for Winetricks to finish
    • Search for, check and run "dotnet40"
    • In the .NET 4.0 installer window, check the first checkbox, click "Install" and "Finish"
    • Wait for Winetricks to finish again 
    Install Steam
    • Still in Winetricks: Search for, check and run "steam" (it is located under "apps")
    • In the Steam installer, click "Next", "I accept...", "Next", choose the best match for your connection, "Next", choose the language you prefer, "Next", "Install", "Finish"
    • Wait for Winetricks to finish and for Steam to download and install the most recent version, now Steam will start
    Install Terraria
    • Log in to your Steam account, Steam will believe the wrapper is a new computer and will ask you for a code, the code will be sent to the email address connected to your steam account, just follow the onscreen instructions
    • Go to your game library and install Terraria
    Install XNA
    • Run Terraria and it will launch the "XNA 4.0" installer
    • Click "Next", click the checkbox, "Next", "Install"
    • Dismiss the error message that (probably will) pop up during the installation
    • Click "Finish"
    • At this point the game should be playable, but it wont start by itself when you run the wrapper, so continue till the end of this guide before playing
    • Right click on the Steam icon in your menu bar and select exit to quit Steam and get back into the wrapper
    • Let Winetricks finish its business and then close the Winetricks window
    Optional: Install Gameiki
    • Click on "Install Software" and browse for "GameikiModInstaller.exe", click "Choose"
    • Click "Next", "Install", "Finish"
    • Gameiki will launch
    • Click "Backup Worlds/Saves" unless you've got nothing to lose (Gameiki has been running perfectly for me, but better safe than sorry)
    • Click on "Install" to install the mods "Wiki Mod", "Creative Mod" and "Inventory Manager" (as of this post)
    • Check/uncheck to choose which mods should be loaded when launching Terraria
    • You can restore Terraria to a completely unmodded state by clicking "Restore Original Version" 
    • Right-click on the Gameiki icon in your menu bar and select exit to quit Gameiki and get back into the wrapper
    Optional: Create a custom launcher for Gameiki Mod Installer
    • Click on "Custom EXE Creator" in the "Wineskin Advanced" window
    • The "Name to use" field can be anything, but "Gameiki" or "Gameiki Mod Installer" makes most sense
    • In the "Windows EXE" field, enter "/Program Files/Gameiki/Gameiki Mod Installer/Gameiki Mod Installer.exe"
    • Click "Save"
    • In Finder, right-click on the wrapper, and choose "Show Package Contents"
    • Hold down the command-key and the alt-key and drag the file with the name you chose to any other location to make a shortcut there, maybe your applications folder or the desktop
    Make Terraria run on double click
    • Click the "Configuration" tab in the "Wineskin Advanced" window
    • In the "Windows EXE" field, enter "/windows/command/start.exe"
    • In the "EXE Flags" field, enter "steam://rungameid/105600"
    • You can also choose a nicer icon in the bottom right corner, like this nice tree
    • Close the window and the wrapper will quit

Run Terraria

• Double click on the wrapper to start your game
    Congratulations, Terraria should now be running on your Mac! Happy digging!

If you need to change any of the settings at a later time you can get back into the wrapper settings by pressing and holding down the alt-key right after you have double-click the wrapper.
  2. Gameiki User Gravatar
    Rat

Staff

40 posts

Whoa, that is awesome :)

3. Gameiki User Gravatar
    yodamysoda

1 posts

when ever i try to open up TerrariaGameiki which i created in wineskin winery it says The application ?sweg terraria? can?t be opened -10810

do you know what i did wrong?

4. Gameiki User Gravatar
    luitinencreeps

2 posts

so i did everything up to the end of installing steam but something glitches and steam wouldn't update and start up steam, so i closed it and went into wine tricks searched for steam checked the box and everything and clicked ran it for the second time. and when i run it it says " Executing w_do_call steam 

steam already installed,

skipping Winetricks Commands Finished!! " I don't know what do do help I'm confused and don't know why this won't work... ;( ;(

5. Gameiki User Gravatar
    luitinencreeps

2 posts

never mind i got it to work

6. Gameiki User Gravatar
    Carcharodon

1 posts

It works fine until I enter a world, the textures are SUPER glitchy, screenshot:

7. Gameiki User Gravatar
    Media96

1 posts

Whenever i try to install gameiki, it says "You have to install a program from the drive_c for this to work" everytime.

8. Gameiki User Gravatar
    tomer

1 posts

the gamiki dosnt launch. 

9. Gameiki User Gravatar
    asdf8781

1 posts

Quote from: @ luitinencreeps

so i did everything up to the end of installing steam but something glitches and steam wouldn't update and start up steam, so i closed it and went into wine tricks searched for steam checked the box and everything and clicked ran it for the second time. and when i run it it says " Executing w_do_call steam 

steam already installed,

skipping Winetricks Commands Finished!! " I don't know what do do help I'm confused and don't know why this won't work... ;( ;(

Please login or signup to reply!